For many retailers the organization has become very complex and hard to drive to action. Hybrid structures, shared services and matrix management have made it difficult to develop or maintain functional excellence (e.g. Pricing, Merchandising, Marketing, Ecommerce, etc.).
In addition, many corporations and the functions themselves are seeking ways to continue to add value and, ultimately, help their company create competitive advantage. As such, functional strategic plans have become a high priority with intense focus on the function’s role, and how to apply retail industry best practices with measured ROI.
What We Do
TPG’s team of retail functional experts who bring personal experience running key functions provide unique, cross-industry perspective, best practices and innovative solutions that aid retailers and distributors in their development of stronger functional strategies and roadmaps. A partial list of our functional strategy consulting services include:
- Best Practices: Identifying and benchmarking retail and distributor functional (e.g. Marketing, Merchandising, other.) best practices within the enterprise and throughout the industry.
- Function Drivers: An industry analysis revealing the core work streams of a retail function and overall contribution to the retailer or distributor.
- Function Objective: The creation of a statement that articulates the retail function’s long term, desired state.
- Functional Goals: A balanced set of retail functional metrics and targets that monitor a function’s progress and overall contribution.
- Functional Strategies: A set of retail functional strategies that complement and better serve the Divisions and/or markets.
- Functional Initiatives: A select set of tactics for each strategy with clearly defined owners, timing and actions.
- Mobilization Plan: An implementation plan that includes a critical path with milestones, stakeholder enrollment, external and internal communication and “activation” owners.
- Robust Model: A repeatable retail functional planning model and approach that enables client self-sufficiency for future years.