Partner Capabilities and Experience:
Don has over 30 years of food industry experience in retailing, sales management and marketing. He has a proven track record and has made cutting edge improvements in the areas of Revenue/Trade Management, Category Management, Sales & Marketing, Company and Brand Redesign. During his career, he has led first time initiatives in developing category management as a department and developed trade strategy to complement new ERP and trade systems.
Don has led direct and broker managed sales teams at all levels, guided a worldwide pricing team, managed shopper marketing teams and cultivated a brand as general manager of the P&L.
Partner Industry Experience:
Don’s last corporate role was at Sara Lee where he led the Best Practices team for Sara Lee including; pricing and promotion management, category management, shelving and assortment, training, customer strategy and sales operations.
Key accomplishments included; moving Sara Lee from the mid 20’s to #7 in industry power rankings and leading revenue recovery efforts to 33% above input cost increases. He was also a P&L owner as a Business Unit General Manager for the Deli business. Don introduced a number of new initiatives – new packaging and products, new shopper marketing approaches and reinvention of pricing and trade approaches.
During his pre-Sara Lee days, Don spent a number of years building experience against a vast array of assignments:
- Built and deployed a NABCA database for use in day to day selling
- Designed and constructed Captain Morgan’s bar at the Palace of Auburn Hills
- Developed the category management effort
- Constructed pasta aisle reinvention approaches
- Fostered ERP implementation and trade development efforts
- Led a team that rationalized over 2000 skus
- Served on a team that redesigned the manufacturing footprint
- Aided the broker consolidation effort
Don completed 8 years of service on the Food Advisory Board at Western Michigan University and was a member of various advisory groups – Path to Purchase Institute, IRI, Acosta Sales and Marketing.
Don holds an MBA in Marketing from Loyola University in Chicago and a Bachelor of Science degree in Food Distribution from Western Michigan University.
Area(s) of Expertise:
- Revenue Management Strategy
- Portfolio and Customer Strategy
- Category Management